This page will be a site map and online Color/Opposites Quote Book.
I found a fascinating study categorizing emotions by Robert Plutchik (21 October 1927 – 29 April 2006), a psychologist and professor emeritus at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. His research included the study of emotions; the study of suicide and violence; and the study of the psychotherapy process.
I also like Dr. David Hawkin’s chart that links emotional states to levels of energy and consciousness. The higher the level, the more vitality and health we have in both our minds and bodies.
Last year I wrote about Rx-for-Healing: The Power of Color and Opposites. This page will serve as an online version of that workbook until it’s published.
1. Make a list of negative emotions you normally feel.
2. Write what you think is the opposite of that emotion.
3. Assign a color to each positive emotion feeling. You chose which words and colors you want to use. This is just for you.
4. Use color tabs, or pages, or art work as to organize your book. Let your imagination soar here.
5. Under each tab, save a quote that speaks to your heart.
Say for example, you have a list of negative emotions:
The opposites of those, you decide, are:
In your notebook you now have three color-coded tabs. Put a number of blank pages in between these tabs to write on. This is where you’ll write all the great advice from wise people over the ages that speaks directly to your heart.
6. Google “quotes about (emotion)” for ideas. For example, type “quotes about joy,” and click on the link. Usually Brainy Quote or Good Reads come up first. Both have a big selection of great quotes.
7. Copy down a quote you like for the emotion in your search. If you write just one quote a day, you’ll have at least 365 in year. If you write two a day, you’ll have over 700 in a year.
7. Read until you feel better. Whenever you’re upset, identify the emotion, then figure out its opposite. Then, tab to your favorite quotes and read until you feel better. This works really well. I’ve used it repeatedly over the years to turn my mind away from anger, pain, worry and all the negative emotions back to the light.
That’s the key. ☼ What we focus on grows. ☼
During this year, I’ll be using this page to assemble a list of negative emotions and the Gems we’ve assembled so far that are the opposite. There will be pages for each emotion to click on so that you can read through the quote and, hopefully, immediately start feeling better. I’ll also use other quotes graphics from Rx-for-Healing and Great Advice from Wise People, Living and Elsewhere.
These are my opposites, but you will probably have a different idea for the opposites for each other these emotions. The symbol for opposite in mathematics is the minus symbol (“-“). That can be confusing in a word list so I used the “does not equal” symbol (“≠”).
APATHY ≠ PASSION, GRATITUDE, KINDNESS, INCLUSION
ANGER ≠ SERENITY
BOREDOM ≠ CURIOSITY, PASSION, DANCE, PLAY
ENVY ≠ ADMIRATION
FEAR ≠ SERENITY, PEACE
HATE ≠ LOVE, GRATITUDE, AWE, ADMIRATION, ECSTASY
GUILT ≠ ACCEPTANCE, FORGIVENESS (SELF), PEACE
GRIEF ≠ JOY, PEACE
PRIDE ≠ INCLUSION, HUMILITY, ENLIGHTENMENT
SHAME ≠ FORGIVENESS (SELF), ACCEPTANCE,
This is ongoing and my current NaNo project. Stay tuned.